Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee Necklace was created in 1888 after quite some debate.
The “Women’s Jubilee Offering” committee had been established in 1887 with the purpose of marking Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. With the Queen’s approval, an equestrian statue of Prince Albert was made for Windsor Great Park, but the contributions raised far outgrew the money necessary for the statue. Queen Victoria agreed that the extra money should be donated to the St Katherine’s Fund for Nurses.
At the same time, it was suggested that some of the money should be used for a personal gift to Queen Victoria, but some of the members disagreed as the money had been donated to charity. Eventually, after negotiations between the Marchioness of Hertford, the Duke of Westminster, Major Tully and the Queen’s private secretary, Sir Henry Ponsonby, £5,000 was set aside for a gift for the Queen.
The jeweller Carrington & Co. was commissioned to design and make the necklace, along with a pair of earrings. The Duchess of Buccleuch presented the set to the Queen on 30 July 1888. Queen Victoria loved the necklace and had it dedicated as an heirloom to the Crown.1