Queen Victoria’s Wheat-ear Brooches were actually commissioned in 1830 by King William IV for his wife, Queen Adelaide, using 580 stones from the collection of his father, King George III. The set consists of six brooches.
Three of the brooches had to be surrendered by Queen Victoria to her uncle, the King of Hanover, after he claimed them. They were then remade in 1838, completing the set again. They were designated as heirlooms of the Crown in 1858 and 1896.
They were often worn as hair ornaments and Queen Elizabeth II wore three as hair slides and sometimes wore two together as brooches.1