Queen Victoria’s bow brooches were created in 1858 after Queen Victoria had been forced to hand over the jewels of her grandmother Queen Charlotte to her uncle, the King of Hanover.
The stones already belonged to Queen Victoria, 497 brilliant and nine roses. Queen Victoria left the brooches as heirlooms to the Crown.
The brooches were worn by Queen Alexandra at her coronation in 1902 in a vertical row, as did Queen Mary in 1911. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and her daughter Queen Elizabeth II usually wore them singly.1