The Duchess of Gloucester’s Pendant Earrings were inherited by Princess Mary Adelaide, future Duchess of Teck, from her aunt, Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, in 1857. They were then passed to her daughter, the future Queen Mary, upon her death in 1897.
The earrings each have a “detachable pendant pearl suspended from cut-down collets, within a scrolling, pavé-set frame.”1
The earrings were given to the future Queen Elizabeth II in 1947, and she wore the pearl tops on her wedding day in November 1947. The tops could easily be worn on their own, and Queen Mary sometimes wore them as pendants on a chain.
Queen Elizabeth II has also worn the complete earrings.