The first church on the site of Roskilde Cathedral was built by Harold Bluetooth, who died around 985. This was a wooden church, and no traces of it have ever been found. This wooden church was replaced in the 1000s by a stone church by King Cnut’s sister Estrid from money she received after he had her husband murdered. Around 1080 another church was consecrated on this spot. The present church was started in the 1170s under bishop Absalon.
Construction lasted for more than 100 years, and the body of the church was completed in 1280. Over the years, additions have been made, up to 1985. In 1995, Roskilde Cathedral was admitted to the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Roskilde Cathedral is the main burial church for the Danish monarchs and some other Danish royals. As such, it is home to several magnificent monuments.