The Franziskaner-Klosterkirche was founded in 1250 as a monastery church. It evolved over the years but was closed during the Reformation in 1539. The monastic buildings are gone now but the church continued to evolve.
The church was destroyed during the bombing of Berlin on 3 April 1945. The ruins were not secured until 1959 and some of it was demolished to may way for the park around it. Restorations in 2003 now allow it to be used by the neighbourhood for exhibitions and concerts.
Somewhere on the grounds are the remains of Margrete of Denmark, the daughter of King Christopher II of Denmark, and Louis II, Elector of Brandenburg and his wife Kunigunde of Poland, the daughter of Casimir III of Poland and his first wife, Aldona-Anna of Lithuania. Unfortunately, there is very little on the site itself, except about the bombing, and the site is closed off outside of events.
The ruins are easy to visit as the Klosterstrasse U-bahn station is right across the street.